Questions to ask your wedding photographer
Having great pictures of your wedding will be one of the few keepsakes after your big day.
We’ve compiled a list of 23 questions to keep in mind when choosing a photographer.
- What is your preferred style of photographer? Traditional, artistic, natural light, photojournalism, illustrative?
- How many weddings have you shot in your career?
- How many weddings will you shoot on my wedding day? If they say more than one, ensure there is adequate time in between each wedding.
- Have you ever shot at my venue? If they haven’t, ask if they would be willing to go do a site visit.
- Do you bring in your own lighting? The answer should be a resounding “Yes!”. If they do not, expect a detailed answer as to why they work without their own lighting.
- Do you work from a shot list? If they do, ask to see this list. If they do not, follow up by asking if you can provide a specific shot list for them.
- Can I request certain images are taken at the wedding? If yes, ask how they will ensure to capture these images.
- How many hours are included in your package? Typical wedding photography needs to start at least two hours becore the ceremony.
- How much does an additional hour of coverage cost?
- Do you bring a second shooter? I do not let a bride walk down the aisle without a second shooter for at least the ceremony. There are so many moments missed (the bride’s face as she sees her groom, and groom’s face as he sees his bride for the first time) because there is only one photographer.
- How many images can I expect to see from my wedding? On average photographers take between 1200 and 1500 images at your wedding, but that doesn’t mean you will see all of those! Typically, brides see anywhere from 150 to 400 images from their wedding.
- Do you have a limit to the amount of images you will edit? The answer to this should be “No”.
- How long does it take to see the proofs from my wedding?
- Do i receive a disc of images, or do I have to order all prints through you?
- How much are prints?
- Is an album included? If so, ask to see a sample of the album.
- Will you use my images in any advertising?
- Will you request the photography guidlines from the ceremony and reception locations?
- What will you and your second shooter wear?
- What is your plan if you are ill or there is an emergency and you can’t photograph my wedding?
- How much is the deposit?
- When is the balance due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
We trust that these questions will steer you in the right direction deciding on a photographer that will capture your special day.